The over 88-hectare-large Treptower Park was realized in the landscape style in 1888 based on the design of the Berlin horticulture director Gustav Meyer, a student of Lenné, as an early “Volkspark” (people’s park). The summer flower and perennial garden was added as one of many special gardens in 1957–58 and partially altered at the beginning of the 1970s. The planning of the special garden goes back to Georg Béla Pniower, who was the director of the Institut für Gartenkunst und Landschaftsgestaltung (Institute of Garden Art and Landscape Design) at Humboldt University at the time, and regards itself as a symbiosis of Mayer and Pniower’s body of thought. A park maintenance plan from 1996 served as the basis for our renovation. The primary goal of our design is to preserve Pniower’s existing design vocabulary while simultaneously strengthening the landscape character. Important visual connections have been reproduced by, for instance, carefully thinning out the planting of the existing bushes with their shielding effect, so as to once again facilitate a view of the Spree River. To reinforce the park character, we reduced oversized path areas in favor of flower and lawn areas. The existing spatial structure of the beds has thus been preserved. Our design interprets the composition of perennials and plantings of alternating flowers in a contemporary way; the color themes have been taken over and developed further. We have thus put value on an expressive handling of the heights of the plants. All the structural installations like the pergola, the historical fountain, steps and wall elements, and the surfacing of the paths and slab surfaced were fundamentally renewed in the course of the renovation in line with historical monument preservation guidelines. The flower garden has thus once again become an impressive attraction in Treptower Park.
Treptower Park Flower Garden, Berlin
BA Treptow-Köpenick, Grünflächenamt
Area 19`000 m²
Area 19`000 m²
Nominierung Deutscher Landschaftsarchitektur-Preis 2019 (2019), Award